Adopt a Platoon
ADOPT A BATTALION
NAIOP San Diego (NAIOPSD) has spearheaded different worthy community outreach programs. Over the years, NAIOPSD has raised money and donated the funds to a number of causes. Several years ago, the Board of Directors established its Community Involvement Committee. The idea was to ensure that would do much more than raise funds. We wanted our members to become actively involved in helping the community where we work, live and play. While considering several options, it became clear that we should focus on the local San Diego military and their families. Obviously, San Diego being a big military town, it was not difficulty to select and partner with a deserving group of fine community members. Therefore, our focus started with what was called the "Adopt-A-Platoon" campaign. In the early years of our campaign, we adopted certain platoons and companies within 1st Marine Raider Battalion (1stMRB) based at Camp Pendleton. A few years ago, we formally adopted the entire battalion. These Marines and Sailors are a unique warrior breed. They are hugely talented, bright, and dedicated. These Marines, Sailors and their families are the best and finest our country has to offer. We are very proud of our relationship with 1stMSORB and we are honored to support them as they do our Nation's business around the world.
The Community Involvement Committee was formed with only 20 members. The committee's duties are to coordinate volunteer efforts and support the Marines, Sailors and their families as they endure the hardships of deployment. We felt it was important to let these Marines and Sailors know that someone would be here to help their families while they are forward deployed in combat action and training evolutions.
To date, the Community Involvement Committee has coordinated several volunteer efforts and provided support to the units as they deploy. We have taken care of family members in times of need and supported the men during long hard deployments. NAIOPSD members have also celebrated the safe return of these brave men and we have mourned with them during tragic losses. It has been the committee's intent to foster a friendship with these brave men and their families. NAIOPSD members have been truly remarkable. The commitment and dedication to 1stMRB has been remarkable. Many of our members have directly participated and have been very charitable with their time and money.
To participate in the Adopt a Battalion program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To date, NAIOP San Diego Foundation has supported the Marines by:
• Designing, constructing and gifting a permanent monument for those 1st MRB Marines killed in action. The monument is located at their headquarters building at Camp Pendleton.
• Designing, constructing and gifting a Wall of Honor for those in 1st Marine Raider Battalion who have earned the prestigious Naval Cross award.
• Hosting their pre and post deployment dinners.
• Sending care packages to forward deployed Marines.
• Sending a Mother's Day card and gift to all the wives.
• Covering a Marine's family transportation costs to hospitals away from home.
• Assisting a Marine's family that needed to be moved while the Marine was deployed.
• Helping a Marine's wife fly to her father's funeral in Japan.
• Hosting a post deployment party for some of the Marines in Perth, Australia.
• Hanging Christmas lights for families of deployed Marines.
• Supporting their annual holiday party.
• Hosting a pamper day for Marine's wives.
• Hosting Family Events throughout the year
• Sending a MARSOC Marine's children to UCLA for a specialized program.
Being able to help the community in this fashion has not only been patriotic, it has brought the NAIOPSD community together to give to a cause that is in the forefront of their minds. Helping these Marines will be a long term (permanent) project for us. We committed to continue to support 1stMRB and many of our members have really expressed an interest in being involved in some way.
A father / daughter moment
NAIOP Members design and build an everlasting memorial outside 1st MRB
NAIOP members attending the pre-deployment dinner
NAIOP Members attend a Change of Command Ceremony